Commissioners Develop “Grand Results”
HOT SULPHUR SPRINGS, Colo. – On Tuesday, March 20, 2018, the Board of County Commissioners approved the five-year Grand County Strategic Plan, named “Grand Results.” “Grand Results” is defined as a “Professional way of doing business focused on our residents and guests”.
For the past several weeks, Grand County leaders received input from leaders in all of the incorporated towns, all elected county officials, and all Grand County department heads. All leaders responded to questions regarding their “vision” and “desired results” for Grand County. Following the week of interviews, Grand County Commissioners and the Grand County Manager developed the “Grand Results” plan during a two-day offsite conference. The “Grand Results” plan will direct the county’s focus on four Strategic Priorities for the next 3-5 years: Managing Growth, Infrastructure, Health Care Accessibility, and Organizational Effectiveness. Each of these Strategic Priorities have several strategic results, with measurable performance objectives, that are defined as part of the plan.
The plan outlines the results of Strategic Priority #1, Managing Growth, as follows: “Grand County’s extraordinary quality of life, access to all of Colorado’s best outdoor experiences, the local cost of living, and easy access from the Front Range make it a certainty that our population and economy will grow over the next five years. This growth will challenge us if we do not prepare in the areas of transportation, housing, and broadband. To ensure that the County, its businesses and residents are in a position to manage and take advantage of the expected growth, the County commits to the following”:
Strategic Result #1: Transportation: County Roads
- By 2020, 100% of targeted roadways are maintained at or above approved County Road Standards
- By 2023, 100% of paved County roads are maintained at or above approved County paved road standards
Strategic Result #2: Transportation: Alternative Transportation
- By 2020, Grand County residents and visitors will have a published report that evaluates alternative transportation means to access the valley
Strategic Result #3: Transportation: Congestion
- Working in collaboration with partners, we will reduce congestion and travel time along Highway 40 consistent with population growth projections for the next 10 years
Strategic Result #4: Affordable Housing
- By December 31, 2018, informed by the Housing Needs Assessment currently underway, Grand County will work collaboratively with the municipalities to establish and meet goals to address affordable and attainable housing for our residents.
Strategic Result #5: Broadband
- By 2022, Grand County will work collaboratively with partners to have access to acceptable internet service to 90% of our residents.
Strategic Priority #2, Infrastructure is addressed in the following manner: “The County’s aging infrastructure creates health and safety issues for County employees and the public, while the cost of replacement will continue to rise each year consistent with the global market for materials and the regional cost of labor. The County’s conservative approach to building these essential service delivery assets will be characterized by little or no increase in taxes, saving money in current and near-term budget cycles, seeking a variety of funding sources, and closely managing construction costs. Further, these foundational facilities will be the core assets required to meet the demands for service from a growing population of residents, businesses and visitors for many years to come”.
Strategic Result #1: Public Safety Facility
- By 2021, Grand County residents will experience improved public safety through a new public safety facility, which includes a jail and meets all applicable standards.
Strategic Result #2: Customer Service Facilities
- By 2023, Grand County residents will experience improved customer service through updated facilities for Road & Bridge and Emergency Management Services, based upon an assessment to be completed not later than 2020.
Strategic Result #3: Health and Human Services Facility
- By 2023, Grand County residents shall be able to access multiple Health & Human Services and related services at a single consolidated facility.
Strategic Result #4: Waste Disposal/Recycling
- By 2029, Grand County residents will understand the opportunities of the alternatives for environmental management of proper waste disposal/recycling through an assessment of cost effective alternatives.
Strategic Priority #3, Health Care Accessibility, is addressed as: “Access to health care is an essential aspect of a healthy, thriving and prosperous community. The County commits to being a leader, convener and partner in this important public policy issue”.
Strategic Result #1: Health Care Accessibility and Affordability
- Working with our partners, Grand County will work to improve health care accessibility and affordability for our residents and guests.
- By September 2018, Grand County will measure and publish an annual report on the Health Care costs and services available to our residents.
- By September 2018, Grand County will identify and publically report on the specific areas of Health Care that the Board of County Commissioners or County employees can effectively engage with the Colorado Insurance Commission, the Governor, the State Legislature and other elected officials.
Strategic Priority #4, Organizational Effectiveness, is defined in the plan as: “The lasting trust that exists between residents, businesses and their local government is an essential characteristic of a thriving community and healthy democracy. The County seeks to continue to build trust with the community in all things we do. Specifically, to ensure that we are being accountable to our community and delivering the results in the Strategic Plan, the County commits to the following”:
Strategic Result #1: Roles and Responsibilities
- By June 1, 2018, the roles and responsibilities of the County Commissioners, County Manager and County Attorney will be clearly articulated and understood throughout the organization.
Strategic Result #2: Performance Reports
- By 2019, Grand County residents and County employees will receive performance reports on a regular basis showing the progress of the implementation of the County strategic plan.
Strategic Result #3: Budget
- By 2021, 100% of Grand County’s department budgets will be tied to results for customers.
Strategic Result #4: Employee Performance
- By 2021, 100% of Grand County’s employee performance plans and appraisals will be aligned to operational and strategic results.
Within the next few weeks, Grand County Commissioners plan on meeting with town officials, residents and guests to further explain the plan and to address questions and concerns from Grand County residents.
Next week, Grand County leaders will be working to develop departmental implementation plans that are aligned with the strategic priorities outlined in the “Grand Results” plan.
Please direct any additional questions to the Grand County Manager, Lee Staab. (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 970-725-3100