Treasurer / Public Trustee
To execute a Release of Deed of Trust, it is necessary to submit the following to the Public Trustee’s Office per C.R.S. 38-39-102:
1. The ORIGINAL Promissory Note or “Evidence of Debt”, marked “Paid in Full” and signed by the holder or holders of the evidence of debt.*
2. The originally recorded Deed of Trust. If the Deed of Trust is lost, a copy showing all the recording information is acceptable.
3. The Request for Release of Deed of Trust form, signed by ALL holders of the evidence of debt or their attorney or agent and notarized.
4. $26.00 fee for the execution and recording of a standard one page release form. $5.00 for each additional page is required. If the release is a live note or a partial release, an additional $4.50 is required. Please make check payable to Grand CountyPublic Trustee.
5. Please provide an addressed, postage paid envelope to return
*If the “Evidence of Debt” is signed or marked paid by an attorney or agent, it should be indicated on both the evidence of debt and the release form. A letter of authorization or Power of Attorney must be included.
If the original evidence of debt is lost, one of the following must be obtained:
1. a Lost Instrument Bond
2. an affidavit and indemnification agreement from a title insurance company licensed and qualified to do business in the State of Colorado.
3. Pursuant to C.R.S. 38-39-102(3.5)(b), if the holder is a state, national or ndustrial bank, savings and loan institution, a Federal Housing Administration Approved Mortgagee, or Federally-Chartered credit union operating in Colorado, an Indemnification Release of Deed of Trust (Without Production of the Original Evidence of Debt) may be completed that will indemnify the Public Trustee.