Short Term Rentals
GRAND COUNTY IS CURRENTLY UNDER STAGE 1 FIRE RESTRICTIONS.
NEW REGISTRATION FEE EFFECTIVE AUGUST 1, 2018
Effective August 1, 2018 the fee for Grand County's Short Term Rental Permit is based on occupancy. This fee $25 per person, calculated by Maximum Advertised Occupancy for your property. [example- your listing advertises a max occupancy of 10 people, then your permit will cost $250]
If you have any questions, please call us at 970-725-3737.
SHORT TERM RENTAL PERMITTING
The Grand County Board of County Commissioners recently passed Resolution 2017-5-23 affecting Short Term Rental operations in unincorporated Grand County. Effective May 24, 2017, all property owners desiring to engage in the short-term rental of a residence in unincorporated Grand County, must apply for a Short Term Rental Permit with the Department of Community Development. Permits renewal on an annual basis, and must be re-applied for each year.
CURRENT REGISTERED SHORT TERM RENTAL
If you are a current holder of a Short Term Rental Registration, your registration will remain valid through the expiration date on your permit.
BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE STATE
The state of Colorado has several compliance requirement for all short term rentals. These are primarily related to lodging and sales tax, which the Colorado Department of Revenue collects. In order to operate short term rental you must:
- Maintain a state sale tax license through Colorado Department of Revenue.
- Post the lodging and sales tax rates that will be remitted through the Colorado Department of Revenue. Grand County lodging tax rate is 1.8%; the sales tax rate is 1.3%
- Remit required sales and lodging tax to the Colorado Department of Revenue
- Additionally, Grand County recommends that short term rentals post state sales tax license number at the residence and in all rental advertising. State Sales Tax is currently 2.9%.
HELPFUL LINKS AND DOCUMENTS:
- Short Term Rental Notice
- Short Term Rental Overview
- Short Term Rental Permit Application
- Resolution 2017-5-23 Establishing Regulations for Short Term Rentals
- Colorado Department of Revenue Vacation Rentals
- General Sales Tax Information for Short Term Rental Units
- Being a Good Neighbor
- How to Report a Violation
- Online Sales Tax Application
- Stage 1 Fire Restrictions Info-graphic
Short Term Rental Message Center
Community Development308 Byers Ave.P.O. Box 238Hot Sulphur Springs, CO 80451
HoursMonday-Friday8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Closed on holidays